Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Magical Fruit

Beans, beans the musical fruit
The more you eat, 
the more you toot
The more  you toot, 
the better you feel
So eat beans for every meal

Most everyone should know this silly little tune and most everyone probably finds the subject of flatulence humorous, even if you do not laugh out loud. Growing up, this  topic usually came up during dinner and resulted in tear filled laughter.

Up until recently, I have hardly paid attention nor have I eaten legumes of any sort. However, my thoughts began to change on January 12, 2011, when I watched Stephanie O'Dea do a crock pot cooking demonstration on Good Morning America: Stephanie made Chicken Enchilada Chili that included beans.

Immediately, I set out to make the recipe. Surprisingly, I had everything on hand to prepare this dish except for the beans, or so I thought. Then I remembered that I received a gourmet gift box for Christmas from the Women's Bean Project.


The Women's Bean Project is a non-profit organization founded by Jossy Eyre in 1989 to help women better themselves, gain self-confidence and develop work skills so that they can become self sufficient. The women are trained to make handmade jewelry and gourmet foods. Included in the gourmet food portfolio are organic coffees, instant teas, sweets and a variety of mixes; brownie, cookie, cornbread, dip, fajita, marinade, salsa and soup.
One of the soup mixes that I received was the Firehouse #10 Hot Chili. I opted not only to use the beans from this kit, but also the spices that were included to make my first batch of crock pot chili. For the second batch, I used the Old Fashioned Mild Chili and the spices that were included. The third time around, I prepared it using canned beans and followed the recipe exactly. The next time, I intend to use Toni's 10 Bean Soup Seconds which is a healthy cornucopia of barley, anasazi beans, lentils, red lentils, green split peas, black eyed peas, black turtle beans, red and white beans and yellow split peas. You really can add anything to this "no fail" recipe. This dish is really easy, really good and really healthy; not a bad eat while you are counting calories and trying to stay satisfied. 

Following is the recipe and it can be found in Stephanie O'Dea's newest cookbook 
More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow. If you click on this Good Morning America link, you will be able to watch her demonstration on how to make Chicken Enchilada Chili. Stephanie also has an informative blogspot A Year of Slow Cooking where you can find further recipes and information. 


Chicken Enchilada Chili 

Ingredients 
1.5 cups prepared enchilada sauce 
2-14.5 ounce cans tomatoes with seasoning 
2-15 ounce cans pinto or kidney beans with juice, or 1 cup dry beans, soaked overnight 
2 celery stalks, chopped 
1 onion diced, or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes 
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder 
1 teaspoon ground cumin 
1.5 pounds chicken - thighs, legs, breasts - your choice 
Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving




Cooking Directions 
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. 
Pour the enchilada sauce and tomatoes into the bottom of the removable stoneware insert. 
Add the beans, celery, onion, and spices; stir to combine. 
Place the chicken on top. 
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or until the flavors have combined. 
If using dry beans, you may need to cook longer to fully soften the beans. 
If your chicken has bones, fish the bones out before serving. 
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

Sandra's Twist on this Crock Pot Dish 

Chicken: Organic, boneless chicken breasts from Costco 
I prefer chili to be more meaty so I use 1.75-2.0 pounds of chicken instead of the 
suggested 1.5 pounds. 

Tomatoes: Organic diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes from Costco 

Spice: Add 1 or 2  jalapeno peppers, chopped finely for extra "heat" 

Garnish:  Scallions in addition to the suggested shredded cheese and sour cream 

Cornbread: If you are making this for a group, it is nice to add some corn bread. I 
mix and I have purchased ready made form the grocery store bakery; the best being 
from Mi Pueblo Food Center on Capitol Avenue at Mckee Road in San Jose. Please 
keep in mind that cornbread is not the most healthy and diet friendly accompaniment 
because it has a very high glycemic index. 

Calories and Nutritional Information: 
I calculated the approximate caloric and nutrition information from the ingredients 
that I used. One cup of this wonderful dish has 255 calories; it is high in protein-19.5g, low in fat-2.2g, and high in the carbohydrates-17.4g (fiber-5.6g and sugar-4.9g).


Beans, beans, they're good for you heart 
The more you eat, the more you fart 
The more you fart, the happier you feel 
So let's eat beans with every meal 

Since my new found interest in beans, I decided to investigate them further. Did you know that beans are considered to be one of the 8 Foods with Health Super Powers? "According to studies by the Department of Agriculture, small red Kidney beans are packed with more antioxidant protection per serving than any other food...Legume-rich diets can also lower cholesterol levels, improve blood-sugar control and reduce the risk of many cancers." 

Beans contain many benefits for not only a healthy diet but also weight loss. They are high in protein, high in the "good" carbohydrates, high in fiber which helps you lose weight and stay regular, full of iron which prevents anemia, and full of folic acid which is good for your heart and aides in cancer prevention, yet contain no cholesterol and little or no fat. There is a nice summary about beans and all of their benefits including: cooking and nutrition information on 21 different varieties, health benefits and general tips that you many not be aware of at AAOOB Storable Foods

I am currently enrolled in a nutrition class through Stanford Continuing Studies
Nutrition for Reducing Body Fat. For two hours each Thursday evening, Dr. Clyde Wilson discusses nutrition, how to increase energy levels and metabolism, and control hunger and cravings with an understanding of how our mind and environment play an important role about the decisions regarding the food choices we make. At each class so far, legumes have been discussed; I was surprised to learn what an important role they play and all of the diet and health benefits that they provide. 

I have learned in class that beans are one of the most healthy if not the healthiest starch; they do not require vegetables (as do "bad" carbs) to slow down digestion unless you consume over 150 calories at one time. Also, that it is very beneficial to eat a legume with every meal to maintain stable blood sugar during body fat reduction; selecting legumes instead of coarse whole grains (rice, corn, wheat - pasta or bread, oats, quinoa, etc.) or tubers (yams, potatoes) result in a faster weight loss. 

I started to include beans with some of my meals and have found that by adding 1/2 cup of beans to my usual vegetable medley - asparagus tips, brussel sprouts and onion, my raw vegetable salad, or my egg white omelet, I am satiated much longer. Thanks to the beans, I am no longer thinking about what I am going to eat next because hunger is no longer talking to me. 

Beans, beans, the magical fruit 
The more you eat, the more you toot 
The more you toot, the better you feel 
So let's have beans for every meal! 

Beans are not just the musical fruit or just good for your heart. With all of the diet and health benefits housed in this little legume, I believe them to be magical too. They will make you laugh and definitely make you happy with all of the positive diet and health attributes that they provide. With my new found appreciation for this "good" carbohydrate, I plan to incorporate legumes in my diet several times per week, maybe more. I look forward to reaping all of the benefits of these little guys especially weight loss. 



No comments:

Post a Comment