Saturday, March 5, 2011

When life gives you LEMONS...



squeeze them and make LEMON-AID!
We all have our favorite lemon drinks; the Italian digestif limoncello is at the top of my list. Yesterday on the Dr. Oz web site, I noticed a small article about the power of lemon juice. It took me right back to the early 80's when my mother and I were faithful followers of The Diet Center back in Menomonie, Wisconsin. When I moved to California in the late 80's, I again followed this program. The kick-starter of the day - a cup of hot water and lemon juice.
In June 2004 at a trade show in San Diego, one of my colleagues from the East coast introduced me to Anne Louise Gittleman’s Fat Flush Plan. We were deep in discussions about detoxing post show due too much over indulgence. He told about all of his wife's success on this new program. The second that I got home, I purchased not only a book for myself, but also for one of my best girlfriends. Both of us were off and "Fat Flushing"! Again, upon awakening, a cup of hot water and lemon juice.
With my most recent experiment the BluePrintCleanse, my day began with this elixir. Over the years when I have not been following any programs, I have included this easy, refreshing concoction into my morning routine. Sometimes, I have concluded my day with it as well, sipping it before going to bed after an evening of indulgence.
I remember hearing that drinking this would "kick start" my metabolism, that it was great for detoxing, digestion and could even ease bloating. It was a cleaner and stimulator for the liver and kidneys. Lemons are high in vitamin C and the juice contains electrolytes - calcium, magnesium and potassium. I did not realize until reading Dr. Oz's article about lemons that "a popular belief in ancient Indian medicine, or ayurveda, is that the natural acid of the lemon has antibacterial properties."
The benefits that lemons and lemon juice provide seem to be endless. Who would think that this sour little fruit could be so sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment